It is customary to offer to bring a side dish when invited to Thanksgiving Dinner, even when it’s your own family doing the inviting. Young adults and new cooks may worry that their dish may not be up to snuff. Here are some easy recipes for salads.
Minty Beans (Cold Salad)
- 2 pound frozen cut green beans
- or 2 pounds fresh green beans
- 1 large potato
- Bag of fresh Mint (available in large grocery stores)
- 1 T. olive oil
- 1/4 cup vinegar
- 1 1/2 large cloves garlic
- Frozen Beans
Allow to thaw completely; do not discard any liquid in the beans
- Cooking Fresh Beans
- Rise in cold water
- Cut tips off and cut into 2″ segments
- Boil in 1 inch of bather 8 minutes or until tender but still deep green
- Cooking the Potato
- Peel potato and cut in half
- Put in saucepan and bring to a boil.
- Boil for 20 minutes.
- Drain liquid and let cool.
- Seasoning and Mixing
- Cut up fresh mint and garlic
- Cut potato into small wedges and mix with beans
- Add fresh mint and other ingredients to beans
- Chill and serve
Easy Basic Potato Salad
- 6 potatoes
- 3 eggs
- Small jar mayonnaise
- 1/4 cup sweet relish
- 2 T dry mustard spice
- 2 T. black pepper
- 1/4 tsp sweet hot mustard
- Peel potatoes and slice large ones in half
- Rinse in water
- Cover with water in saucepan, with lid on, bring to a boil, turn down heat and boil 20 minutes
- Drain and let cool.
- Cover eggs with water in small, covered saucepan.
- Bring to boil, turn down heat and boil for 10 minutes
- Drain and fill saucepan with cold water twice to cool eggs.
- Peel eggs.
- Making the salad
- Cut Potatoes and eggs into small to medium sized pieces.
- Add mayonnaise 2 tablespoons at a time and mix with large plastic or wooden spoon until potatoes and eggs are completely coated (be gentle – mix, don’t mash potatoes).
- Add relish, dry mustard, pepper and sweet hot mustard gradually.
- Spoon into attractive serving dish and sprinkle with paprika.
Potato sald is easy to make and best of all, can be made ahead of time and kept in the refrigerator. On Thanksgiving Day, all you have to do is pack the dish and bring it to the gathering.
Easy, Basic and Versatile Salad Dishes for Thanksgiving Dinner
Either of these dishes are appropriate side dishes for Thanksgiving. Minty beans is actually an unusual salad and many people ask for the recipe. Minty beans can be served as a salad or as a cold vegetable side dish. Potato salad serves as a salad or a side dish.
Start with Easy Dishes for the Holidays
Start with easy dishes, and when you sample other dishes that you like, ask for the recipe. Soon you will have your own library of recipes.