Thanksgiving is a very popular time of year for trying out a new recipe or creating a new dish to share with your loved ones.
Thanksgiving can be a fun time to try out a new recipe with your guests. Since there are multiple dishes typically served, you don’t have to worry if everyone will like it. For foodies and adventurous types, you may want to have one dish that is a bit more unconventional.
Oyster dishes are popular at Thanksgiving as a stuffing. Some more adventurous types may even serve them on the half-shell or in a stew. This recipe combines the tradition of oysters with the tradition of a casserole dish. Casseroles are always a popular option for Thanksgiving or any time of year. They combine multiple food groups and are typically easy to prepare.
Oysters Rockefeller in a casserole form is a dish for someone who wants to try something that is both traditional yet different.
Ingredients you will need to prepare this Oysters Rockefeller Casserole Dish
- 16 oz of clean, shucked oysters, canned oysters are completely acceptable
- 1 cup of bread crumbs
- 1 cup of crushed Cheez It crackers (about 30 crackers)
- ¼ cup of butter
- 1 tbsp of oil or butter
- 2-3 cups of fresh spinach, cooked down to yield ¾ of a cup to a cup
- ½ an onion
- 4 strips of cooked bacon
- 1 cup of mushrooms
How to Prepare Oysters Rockefeller Casserole
- Cook about 4 strips of bacon and let cool, you can use more if you like.
- Crush your crackers and combine with the majority of bread crumbs (leave a little to sprinkle on the top). Add the crackers and crumbs to a buttered or sprayed 8 x 8 casserole dish.
- Pour melted butter over crush crackers and crumbs and mix in.
- Cook down the spinach, mushrooms, and onions with a little oil of your choice.
- After the vegetables cool for a few minutes, mix them in a bowl with the oysters and pour the mixture on top of the crackers.
- Crumble bacon and add on top of the casserole mixture.
- Sprinkle leftover bread crumbs on top of the completed dish. Place in pre-heated 425 degree oven and bake for 30 minutes.
This dish is pretty simple to prepare if you use canned oysters. You can use any flavor of Cheez Its or a similar cracker. Smoked flavored Cheez Its add a nice flavor. Be sure to check your casserole as ovens vary, once the top is starting to brown it is ready. Let cool for about 10 minutes and serve.