Coming up with a unique Halloween costume may seem like a daunting task, but the key is to choose a costume that no one expects or is perhaps out of context.
In this article, find unusual costume ideas for adults, teen Halloween costumes, and unique outfits for couples and groups.
Weird & Unique Couples Costume Ideas
One way to ensure a unique couples costume is to dress up in difficult-to-create coordinating outfits.
For instance, consider fork & spoon, nut & bolt, and ball & chain as mentioned in the article Couples Halloween Costume Ideas. Along the same lines, consider the following weird Halloween costume ideas for couples:
- Boxes of Cereal
- Chinese Takeout & Bottle of MSG
- Confused Superheroes (like Superman & Wonder Woman with mismatched outfits)
- Peanut Butter & Jelly
Unique Adult Halloween Costume Ideas – Kids’ Show Characters
Another way to come up with a unique Halloween costume is to dress up in an outfit that is totally out of context. For instance, an adult could dress up in a popular kids’ show character outfit. No one would expect to see a grown up dressed up like Dora the Explorer, a Smurf, or Barney.
Unexpected Costumes for Groups, Couples, Men & Women – Celebrities from the Past
Another way to dress out of context is to choose a celebrity from a bygone period. Instead of dressing up like today’s popular celebrities, choose someone from old Hollywood, or even a silent film star. This type of outfit will surely be a unique Halloween costume. Here are some ideas from the past:
- Unique Halloween Costume Ideas for Women – Doris Day, Audrey Hepburn, Elizabeth Taylor, Julie Andrews, Kathleen Turner
- Halloween Costumes for Men – Rock Hudson, Carey Grant, Marlon Brando, Charlton Heston, Frank Sinatra, Paul Newman
- Unexpected Couples Outfits – The Eisenhowers, Antony & Cleopatra, George Burns & Gracie Allen, Lucille Ball & Desi Arnaz, John Lennon & Yoko Ono
- Unique Costumes for Groups – For an unexpected twist, groups can dress up as the cast from an old sitcom or movie or a band from the 1980s. One non-celebrity, unusual group outfit idea: different-colored M&Ms.
Unique Halloween Costume Ideas for Teens – Movie Character Outfits
Teenagers love to embrace pop culture. While many teens will dress up as characters from popular movies, any teen who wants a unique Halloween costume idea simply needs to choose a movie character Halloween costume based on a supporting role, not a leading character, or choose a movie character from a lesser-known flick.
Here are a few unique teen Halloween costume ideas inspired recently popular movies:
- Lilly Truscott – Hannah Montana’s sidekick would be a highly recognizable, fun choice for teen girls.
- Sabretooth or Victor Creed – This is a supporting role from the movie X-Men Origins: Wolverine, perfect for teenage boys.
- Sarah Connor from Terminator – She’s not the lead character in the Terminator series, but she plays an important role in the overall plot.
Other Costumes for Adults
Halloween costume ideas are limitless. The ideas above may not work for everyone, especially someone who wishes to be recognized immediately without having to explain the costume.