Various cookies, cakes, and pies are certainly the traditional custom of many families during the Christmas and holiday season. The ordinary or “typical” recipes are well known to most, however, sometimes a new recipe can be introduced that can become a tradition for years to come and also for future generations to try and experience during the Christmas season.
Apple cake is certainly a recipe that can spice up the holidays for family and friends alike. The recipe for this holiday dessert is great because so many interpretations can be applied based on personal choice and family customs.
Depending on what is added and also what is taken away, the recipe for apple cake can certainly become a dessert that is specific to individual families during the holiday and Christmas season.
APPLE CHRISTMAS CAKE
Serves 5-7 people (depending on slices)
- 2 eggs
- ¼ cup of cooking oil
- 3 cups of flour
- 3 cups of freshly chopped or grated apples (based upon personal choice)
- 1 cup of chopped pecans (either hand chopped or store bought)
- 1 cup of white sugar
- 1 cup of brown sugar
- 2 teaspoons of vanilla extract
- 1 tablespoon of cinnamon
- 1 tablespoon of baking powder
- Beat eggs and properly add all sugars and cooking oil. Use a proper cooking bowl and beater. Beat ingredients for a total of 3 minutes.
- Sift all dry ingredients together and then add slowly to the mixed and cream ingredients.
- Once all ingredients have been properly joined and added, insert grated or chopped apples and chopped pecans to the mixture.
- Place mixture in a tube cake pan and cook at 325 degrees for 75 minutes.
Once the cake is done, remove from oven and let cool. Be sure to place the cake away from the oven in a room temperature setting. While the cooling process is on going, began preparing the frosting.
NOTE: Frosting is simply an option. Cake can be served without frosting if so needed and/or desired.
- 1 cup of brown sugar
- ¼ cup or sweet or evaporated milk (person preference)
- ¾ stick of butter or margarine (person preference)
- 1 teaspoon of vanilla extract
Frosting and Cake Serving Directions:
- Place all mixed ingredients for the frosting in a cooking pan.
- Cook in oven until frosting becomes thick. Monitor the cooking process carefully so the frosting will not burn.
- Make certain frosting becomes thick, yet still maintains a “spreadable” quality.
- Once frosting is satisfactory, use a beater to mix the now thickened frosting.
- Once the frosting (and the cake) has properly cooled, apply frosting across the top and sides of the cake.
- Allow frosted apple cake to sit for 20-30 minutes, and then serve.