Try this quick and easy chocolate chip fruitcake. The flavor of the chocolate complements the traditional fruitcake ingredients and makes a treat that everybody will enjoy. The fruit cake can be served immediately or stored in the fridge for up to a month.
Best Chocolate Chip Christmas Fruitcake
- 1 cup soft butter
- 1 cup sugar
- 4 eggs
- ¼ cup sweet sherry
- 2 ½ cups cake flour
- ½ cup cocoa powder
- 1 ½ teaspoon baking powder
- ½ teaspoon salt
- 1 cup chocolate chips
- 1 cup roughly chopped pecan nuts or wall nuts
- ½ cup chopped or whole red cherries or a mixture of red and green cherries soaked overnight in ½ cup sweet sherry.
- 1 cup seedless raisins
- 1 cup sultanas
- ¼ cup currants
- More sherry to sprinkle over cake
- Preheat oven to 300° F.
- Use either a large ring pan (9.5 inch in diameter) or two bread pans (9x4x2.5 inches). Grease the pans and line it with baking paper. Grease the exposed side of the baking paper.
- Combine butter and sugar and mix thoroughly. Add eggs one by one while stirring. Add sherry and stir. Add flour, cocoa, baking powder and salt. Mix again. Add chocolate chips, nuts, raisins, sultanas and currants and mix until thoroughly combined.
- Spoon the mixture into the prepared pan or pans, filling it almost to the top. Smooth out the top of the mixture with a spoon.
- Put the pan or pans on a cookie baking plate to protect the bottom from the heat below and cover loosely with some aluminium foil.
- Bake for 1 hour at 300° F, remove the foil and bake another 15-20 minutes, depending on the size of the pans (longer for a larger pan), until brown.
- Remove from oven and allow to cool for 5 minutes on a wire rack.
- Invert the pan to remove the cake and lightly sprinkle with more sherry.
- Allow to cool, serve immediately or wrap in foil and keep in the fridge for up to a month.
The cake is moist enough to serve as it is but can also be served with whipped cream. Add one to two drops of vanilla and 3 teaspoons of sugar to the cold cream before whipping.
This recipe produces approximately 20 portions.
To enlarge the recipe: do not mix more than double the recipe at a time. If more pans are placed in the oven, ensure a space of at least 1 inch between pans for adequate warm air circulation.
This cake freezes well. To defrost, take out of the freezer and thaw for approximately 24 hours.