This Christmas craft creates cute gingerbread men or women with an enticing cinnamon aroma. This is another of the homemade ornament glue craft ideas using white glue, different colors of loose glitter, brown construction paper, and the added ingredient of cinnamon. The gingerbread men and women are cute, simple and require no mixing or cooking. The Christmas ornaments and the tree will smell of delicious cinnamon all season long. These glue ornaments can be used year after year. And they make great Christmas gifts, too!
Gingerbread Homemade Christmas Ornament Craft Directions
- Let each child use a pencil to freehand or trace a cookie cutter in the shape of a gingerbread man on to the brown construction paper.
- Trace the outline in glue, making sure the glue is applied thickly. Fill in the gingerbread man with a heavy coating of glue.
- While the glue is wet, let the children decorate the gingerbread by sprinkling on the loose glitter in the shape of clothing, buttons, etc. Q-tips are an inexpensive way to add on details by dipping the tip in the glitter. The head, hands, and feet should be left glitter free for the time being.
- Use your fingers to sprinkle a generous layer of cinnamon onto the gingerbread man’s head, hands and feet. Gently press the cinnamon down into the glue to make sure every area is covered. The cinnamon should coat these areas thickly and any excess can be shaken off once the ornament is dry.
- For creating the eyes and mouth, draw the features on top of the cinnamon with glue and sprinkle on more glitter. Small buttons, ribbons, nonstick eyes, and other crafting supplies can be used to decorate the gingerbread but this is only optional.
- Allow the gingerbread man to completely dry. This may take a day or two because of the thickness of the glue. The ornament will be stiff when dry. Then, gently peel off the glue ornament.
- Shake off any excess glitter and cinnamon. Attach a tree decoration hook through the top of the gingerbread man and hang this cute homemade ornament to you Christmas tree.
The brown color of the construction paper will stick to the glue and combined with the coating of cinnamon will give the gingerbread man is perfect cookie coloring!
Christmas crafts make great decorations and homemade gifts while being tons of fun for children of all ages. Three simple craft ingredients create hours of fun and beautiful Christmas ornaments at the same time.