Children will be onboard with this fun-filled kids’ Christmas craft. Use milk jug lids, cardboard tubes and wrapping paper scraps to make a Christmas train.
“All aboard the Christmas Express!” This easy kids’ Christmas craft is sure to please, especially when the individual train cars get linked together for a festive journey. Put the call out to family and friends to save their milk jug lids and toilet paper or paper towel rolls to make the train cars. You can tailor the train’s decorations to the strengths, interests, and age of the child. Younger children can decorate the rolls with stickers; older ones can paint the rolls in Christmas colors or wrap them in Christmas paper scraps.
Things you will need:
- Cardboard rolls
- Milk jug/small plastic lids
- Paint and paintbrush
- Wine cork
- Cotton ball
- Wrapping paper scraps
- Christmas-colored pipe cleaners
- Tacky craft glue and popsicle sticks
- Hole puncher
Steps for Making Your Christmas Train Craft
- Collect cardboard rolls. Toilet paper, paper towel rolls, and even wrapping paper tubes that can be cut into smaller sections work well. Also collect milk jug lids or other small lids. You will need four small plastic lids for each train car for the wheels. The total number of rolls and lids needed will depend on how long you want to make your train.
- Once you have your cardboard rolls, have the children decorate them with stickers, paint, or wrap them in Christmas paper.
- Next, squeeze some glue into a small container and have them spread it onto the flat sides of the lids using a popsicle stick.
- Stick the lids onto the sides of the cardboard roles, two on each side so each roll has four wheels.
- Have the children decorate the train wheels with buttons or stickers.
- Once glue has set and dried, use your hole puncher to make two holes on the bottom and near the ends of each roll: one at the front and one at the back. This is so they can all be linked together. For the first train car, you will only need one hole at the back.
- Using your Christmas-colored pipe cleaners, thread each end of the pipe cleaner through the roll’s holes and twist together. Repeat until all the individual train cars are linked together.
- For an extra fun detail, you can use a wine cork glued to the front of the train with a cotton ball glued onto it as a smokestack.
This easy and fun Christmas craft for kids is not only perfect for individual children, but also for larger groups like a play group, preschool, or Kindergarten class. Each child can decorate their own train car which can then all be linked together for a fun end result. Just remember to write each child’s name on the inside of the roll so they can take their individual train cars home.
Children will love making this Christmas train and set out on a shelf in their room or a classroom, it makes a beautifully festive Christmas decoration for the season.