This festive dessert is sure to become a family favorite that friends and family will request over and over again. The Christmas-dinner chef will be happy to oblige, too.
This Snowball Cake dessert recipe nearly makes itself, requires no cooking and happily waits in the wings while the cook is busy with more demanding holiday dishes.
Christmas Snowball Cake is a beautiful and impressive dessert, as well; big enough to serve at the largest of holiday gatherings. The simple elegance of it sitting on a holiday platter is stunning.
Children will ooh and ah because it really does resemble a giant snowball and grown-up guests will keep coming back for more.
Christmas Snowball Cake Recipe
Adapted from a recipe by, Nettie Lagrange in, Les Cuisiniéres de Broussardville – n.d.
- 1 large can crushed pineapple (only ½ of the pineapple fruit is used)
- 2 envelopes unflavored gelatin
- ¼ cup cold water
- 1 cup boiling water
- 1 cup sugar
- ½ teaspoon salt
- Juice of 2 lemons
- 1 box or bag frozen strawberries, thawed
- 1 cup miniature marshmallows
- 1 large tub and 1 small tub Cool Whip
- 1 prepared Angel Food tube cake
- 1 cup coconut, shredded
- Drain pineapple, reserving liquid.
- In a large mixing bowl, dissolve gelatin in ¼ cup cold water.
- Stir in the boiling water, sugar and salt and allow to cool.
- Stir the pineapple juice and lemon juice into the cooled gelatin mixture.
- Place bowl in the refrigerator and allow the gelatin to begin to thicken.
- When the gelatin has thickened, stir in the ½ can of pineapple, strawberries, marshmallows and the large tub of Cool Whip.
- Break the Angel Food cake into small chunks and stir them into the gelatin mixture, making sure that all cake pieces are coated well.
- Line a separate large mixing bowl with foil, and pour mixture into the foil-lined bowl.
- Smooth and level the surface of the cake mixture.
- Cover the bowl with foil or plastic wrap and place the bowl in the refrigerator to chill overnight; at least 12 hours.
- When cake is set, remove the covering and invert onto a large cake plate or platter.
- Carefully remove foil liner from cake.
- Frost the cake with the small tub of Cool Whip and sprinkle with coconut.
- Store Snowball Cake in the refrigerator until time to serve.
Snowball Cake makes an especially beautiful presentation when served on dessert plates garnished with sprigs of fresh mint leaves and tiny Red Hot cinnamon candies.