Having tasty treats is an anticipated part of any Halloween celebration. It’s a fun family activity to bake and decorate these easy-to-make cookies. The recipe below can be altered to make unique variations of this traditional sugar cookie recipe.
- 1 ½ cups powdered sugar
- 1 egg
- 2 sticks of softened butter
- 1 tsp. vanilla
- ½ tsp almond extract
- 2 ¼ cups flour
- ¾ tsp baking soda
- 1 tsp cream of tartar
- Icing of choice
- Mix all the dry ingredients together until combined.
- Add the wet ingredients and combine until a smooth large ball forms.
- In order to prevent sticking when cookie cutting, cover the dough with saran wrap and place in the refrigerator for 1-4 hours.
- Roll the dough out to approximately ¼ inch in thickness. Use Halloween shaped cookie cutters to make the cookie cut-outs. A clever way to help prevent the dough from sticking to the surface of the working area or rolling pin, is to place the dough on a floured pillowcase.
- Arrange the cookies on a greased cookie sheet and bake in a 375 degree preheated oven for 8 minutes. The outer edges will appear slightly darkened, and the center should be puffy. Allow to sit on the cookie sheet an additional 1-2 minutes before removing.
- Let cool completely before icing and decorating them.
Halloween Cookie Variations
- For orange almond cookies, add a ½ tsp of orange extract to the dough. Additionally, 2 Tb. of crushed almonds can be added to the dough for texture and flavor.
- For lemon sugar cookies, omit the almond extract and add ½ tsp of lemon extract. Adding a ½ tsp of lemon zest will give the cookies more of a tangy flavor.
- For a chocolate cookie variation, replace ¼ cup of the flour with cocoa. This variation can be complimented with a chocolate glaze.
- Food coloring in various shades can be added to the icing before decorating.
- Ice the cookies with a plain white icing, then embellish with orange and brown candies or sprinkles.
- Mix a small amount of fine sugar crystals with a food coloring of choice. Then, put a very fine layer of icing on the cookies, and dip them in the colored sugar.
- Ice with a chocolate icing, and sprinkle powdered sugar on top.
- Make sure to use interesting cookie cutter designs. Skeletons, ghosts, pumpkins, witches, and bats are good designs to use for these Halloween cookies.
Make these yummy Halloween treats for friends, neighbors, and visitors. Baking and decorating them is a fun family activity that can get everyone excited about the upcoming celebration. Halloween cookies are a tasty addition to the holiday festivities.