The Ghoulish 7 Step Count Down to Dunking for Goblin Apples
Apple bobbing originated from Celtic traditions when Halloween was called Samhain. It is played by putting your hands behind your back and trying to catch an apple with your teeth. The player who catches an apple the fastest wins the game. Here are a few fun ideas to spice up the game.
7. Take as many of your favorite apples as you like: Macintosh, Cortland or Delicious or for really ghoulish goblins use some green Granny Smith apples, too.
6. Wash your apples in cool water and polish dry.
5. Create your own goblin stencils or do it free hand. Use a paring knife to carve your goblins faces into the apples. You can carve traditional pumpkin faces into your apples if you wish. Some examples: use candy corn or jelly beans to create facial features. Be creative.
4. Brush the cobwebs off your witch’s cauldron and give it a cleaning or use a Halloween bowl of your choice. A large black or orange bowl will do.
3. Put the goblin apples in your cauldron or Halloween bowl and fill with water or for a new twist use cold or warm cider or even better warm mulled cider. Make sure the cider is not too hot. No burnt lips allowed. You can either use your favorite mulled cider recipe or purchase mulled cider spices to add to your apple cider.
A Simple Mulled Cider Recipe:
- Ingredients Needed:
- 1 gallon apple cider
- 3 cinnamon sticks
- 2 tsp whole cloves
- 12 whole allspice
- 6 cardamom pods (optional)
You can either tie the spices in a loose cheesecloth bag or just put them in the cider loosely and strain it later. Combine the spices or spice bag and cider in a pot and bring to a rolling boil. Then turn down to simmer for about 10 to15 minutes. You’ll smell the aroma of the spices filling your kitchen. Remove the spice bag or strain and cool to warm for dunking for goblin apples. You can double the recipe if you are using a larger cauldron or bowl and simmer it a little longer.
2. For the adult Halloween party, you can add 1 cup of spiced rum or apple jack to one gallon of mulled cider or to your personal taste. You’ll have to tell the partiers, “No fair drinking to the bottom of the cauldron to get the Goblin apples”.
1. You’ve made it! Start dunking for delicious bobbing goblin apples and Enjoy!
Ever bitten a Halloween Goblin Apple Bobbing in Mulled Cider?