Things that bring back memories are the greatest gifts we can receive. By making this ornament you give a gift that allows the gift receiver to cherish memories every year.
Time Capsule Ornament
Every home has toilet paper, and usually the rolls are just thrown away at the end. Keep these rolls and use them to create a gift to remember.
- Toilet Paper Roll
- Decorative paper or fabric
- Hole punch (or scissors to poke holes)
- Yarn, String, or Fishing Line
Directions for making the Ornament:
- First find some decorative paper or fabric that is festive and will add to the look of the Christmas tree. Cover the outside and one end of the toilet paper roll with decorative paper or fabric, leaving one end uncovered.
- Trim the paper or fabric to fit. Use glue to attach it to the sides of the roll.
- Use a hole punch or scissors to poke holes on opposite sides of the uncovered end.
- Attach string to one end and secure it to the opposite hole.
- Extra decorations such as a piece of garland can be added with hot glue if you want to add more pizzazz.
Making the Ornament Memorable
Now that you have created the ornament, it is time to make it memorable. Make a list on a notepad that includes phrases such as:
- Favorite movie
- Favorite vacation this year
- What I want to do in the next year
- What I want to be when I grow up
The best thing about this craft is that you can make it special and unique for your family.
Write your answers down on the sheet, and roll it up, placing it in the open end. You have now made your time capsule. Some people may enjoying adding other trinkets such as movie stubs or a picture that your child has drawn to add to the memories. Now place the ornament on the Christmas tree, hanging it by the string.
Opening the Time Capsule
Everyone’s favorite thing about a time capsule is getting to open it. Not only does it bring back memories, but it also reminds people of the goals they have achieved over the year. This time capsule is put away with the ornaments after Christmas. Next year when everyone is decorating and putting their ornaments on the tree, the family can make it a special time to take the memories out and look back on what things have been accomplished and what has changed over the year.