Do you have a friend or a family member who is a mixed-media artist? If so, why not create a gift for them geared specifically toward their interest in and passion about mixed media art? This is a great project to work on with children or independently.
For this project, you will be taking yourself on an artist’s date as well. So, be sure to block out time on two or more days if needed. Head to the craft store, the dollar store, and thrift shops to find items to use to fill the basket and embellish the basket. Choose unique items and things that can be altered into a mixed media piece of art.
When choosing your basket, make your selection based on what you want the backdrop of the basket to look like. For example, if you want a white base, choose a while basket rather than painting a wooden basket. This will save time and allow for more embellishing and altering.
Here are some suggestions for embellishments to add to this Easter basket mixed media art project:
- Pastel colored ribbons and lace.
- Glitter glue or glitter mixed into acrylic paint or glaze.
- Easter and spring themed charms.
- Dehydrated or silk flowers.
Here are some suggestions for how to fill the basket:
- Fill it in a traditional way using Easter basket grass, some candy, and a chocolate bunny. Then, customize the basket toward treats the recipient would enjoy. For example, tea bags or gourmet coffee might be a good choice.
- Add paintbrushes and sponge brushes.
- Put in an array of adhesives ranging from many glue sticks to containers of gel medium.
- Find some decorative envelopes, decorate some plain envelopes, or alter some pastel colored envelopes and fill them with collage goodies, scrapbook papers, die cuts, used postage, rubber stamped images, handmade papers, small templates, and ATC blanks.
- Select some rubber stamps that are both Easter themed and geared toward the recipient’s interests. Do not forget to add stamp pads and distress ink.
Not only will you be creating a personalized gift for the mixed-media art lover in your life, you will also be able to create a piece of mixed media art in the process. With the addition of a handmade card and a handmade envelope, you have the ability to stretch this art project over the span of several days. This will help keep the creative juices flowing and the practice of daily art making active in your creative life.