holiday party this year. Or if their school prefers packaged treats check out the list of healthy alternatives. You may be able to start a healthy trend this school year!
Rice Crispy Treats can be made healthier just by making them homemade. But try this variation on the traditional recipe. You will be pleasantly surprised!
Healthy Rice Crispy Squares
6 Cups Crispy Brown Rice Cereal
1/4 Cup Low Fat Margarine
10 ounce package marshmallows or 3 cups miniature marshmallows
1/2 cup wheat germ
1. In medium sauce pan melt margarine.
2. Once margarine is completely melted fold in marshmallows and mix until they are completely dissolved.
3. Stir in cereal and wheat germ making sure to completely coat
4. Using a buttered spatula press mixture into 13 x 9 pan, that has been coated with non-stick spray.
5. Cut into squares once mixture has cooled.
Yields: 24 Squares
This good for you trail mix will combine lots of whole grains, healthy treats, dried fruits, and just a little bit of chocolate. Your little ghouls will love it!
Trick-or-Treat Trail Mix
3 Cups Cheerios
1 Box any flavor Teddy Grahams
2 Cups Pretzels
1 Cup of Raisins
1 Cup Dried Cranberries
1 Cup Dried Banana Chips
1 Cup Chocolate Chips
1. Mix all ingredients together.
2. Serve in large bowl or in individual baggies.
Need packaged ideas? Try these healthy alternatives. You will be happy you did!
*Individual Pretzel Bags
*Miniature Popcorn Bags
Favors don’t need to be packed with sugar either. Stores these days carry a ton of alternatives to candy. Check out the list below, or check out www.orientaltrading.com, for an array of fun trinkets that children will love!
*Small Play-Dough Containers
*Pencils with fun erasers