While Christmas is a great opportunity to indulge in some new items, you may be surprised to discover most of what you need already on your shelves, so check your attic before you go shopping
Ribbons are a great way of adding a festive touch to a Christmas card. A wide range of printed ribbons are readily available from craft stores and suppliers. A bow also jazzes up a tag, envelope or box, which can be coordinated with a Christmas card.
Paper and Card
There are many varieties of printed paper and card available. The card stock and pads of paper designed for scrapbooking can be used for making Christmas cards, and booklets of printed images offer a creative resource.
Gold, silver and copper-edged quilling papers are available and are fantastic for festive quilling.
Also known as paper fasteners and originally a standard stationery item in their round form, brads now come in squares, snowflakes, trees, hearts and many more designs.
This is the term used for ready-made embellishments, which come in a wide array of sizes, shapes, colors and designs.
This very thick liquid paint, applied directly from the tube, comes in many colors and can be used on most surfaces to give dimension and texture. It dries quickly in small quantities, but more liberal application requires overnight drying
These provide an almost endless range of ready to use designs and motifs, available in a variety of different forms, such as outline, solid, embossed, 3-D, and resin
Flatter than peel-off decals, these adhesive images need to be transferred to paper or card by rubbing with the back of a teaspoon.
These are very intricate shapes that have been cut by a laser. They come in sheets of different shapes or designs.
The following retailers supply the materials needed for making homemade Christmas cards.
- Anita’s Art Stamps and Anita’s Art peel-off stickers available at Sugarloaf Products Inc.
- Art Institute Glitter Inc. 712 N Balboa Street, Cottonwood, Arizona 86326 (Tel 877 909 0805)
- Imagination Project. 9465 Sutton Place, Hamilton, Ohio 45011 (Tel 888 477 6532)
- K&Co. 11125 NW Ambassador Drive, Suite 200, Kansas City MO 64153 (Tel 888 244 2083)
- Michael’s Stores. 8000 Bent Branch Drive, Irving, TX 75063 (Tel 1 800 642 4235)
- Penny Black Inc. PO Box 11496, Berkeley, CA 94712
- Plaid Enterprises Inc. PO Box 7600, Norcross, GA 30091-7600 (Tel 800 842 4197)
- The Punch Bunch. 2819 W Adams Ave, Temple, TX 76504 (Tel 254 791 4209)
- Queen & Co. PO Box 501773, San Diego, CA 92150 (Tel 858 612 7858)
- Royal & Langnickel. Royal Brush Manufacturing, 6707 Broadway, Merrillville, IN 46410 (Tel 800 247 2211)
- Sakura of America. 30780 San Clemente Street, Hayward, CA 94544
- Tsukineko Inc. 17640 NE 65th Street, Redmond, WA 98052 (Tel 425 883 7733)