Personally, I feel that the best part of Christmas is slipping into some comfy pajamas, putting some Christmas tunes in the CD player, and decorationg my home. This is something I look forward to each year. Evidently, a lot of others feel exactly the same way.
I asked friends and family which Christmas song is their favorite. After hearing a lot of opinions about the “best” Christmas songs, I thought I’d create a list to assist you with creating the ultimate Christmas Playlist!
The following are in no particular order: (and remember, these are opinion based and will vary depending on your taste in music)
- Mariah Carey – All I want for Christmas is You (no explanation needed here)
- Dolly Parton – Hard Candy Christmas (some may argue this is not a Christmas tune, as it refers a break up and she is paralleling it to a “not so great” Christmas)
- Alison Krause – Shimmy Down the Chimney (sexy + holiday = perfect!)
- Alabama – Christmas in Dixie (maybe this is on my list because I’m from Alabama; perhaps New Yorkers wouldn’t add this to their list)
- Elvis Presley – Blue Christmas (classic)
- Paul McCartney – Wonderful Christmastime (very fun, upbeat!)
- Bon Jovi – Please Come Home for Christmas (several great versions of this one)
- Wham! – Last Christmas (again, no explanation needed here)
- Celine Dion – O Holy Night (this one will reduce me to tears)
- Whitney Houston – The Christmas Song (wow! very soulful and heartfelt)
Well there you have it, Christmas tunes according to me!
It goes without saying, that there are several other versions of these songs that could have been mentioned here, along with countless other holiday tunes! This is simply the list that I love and adore!Hopefully, it will give you a good start on creating your holiday playlist!
The following are songs that I love, but did not make it on my top ten list.
- Nat King Cole – The Christmas Song
- Olivia Newton John – Silent Night
- Bing Crosby – White Christmas
- Amy Grant – Breath of Heaven (Mary’s song)
- Clay Aiken – Mary did you know? – Not a huge Clay fan, but he does this song well
- Charlotte Church – Happy Christmas
- Andrea Bocelli – The Lord’s Prayer (simply amazing)
There are so many to choose from; it is such a task to select only a few! I have also seen so many “Top 100” Lists that I feel overwhelmed when looking at them. My hope is that this smaller list, along with the Honorable Mentions, will allow you to choose your Christmas tunes without getting lost in the thousands upon thousands of songs out there for the Holiday season.
Merry Christmas to All!